Since this blog is supposed to have recipes posted every once and a while, I thought I’d post this family favorite. My mom and I made it together just earlier today.
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Simple Sugar Syrup (see below for instructions)
- 2 cups water
- 6 ice cubes, crushed
Method: Simple Sugar Syrup (1 cup batch)
- Add 1 cup sugar to a small sauce pan.
- Add 1 cup water to the pan.
- Place pan, with lid on, over medium heat.
- Once the mixture comes to a boil, remove lid and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Take syrup off heat and place in refrigerator until cool.
- Pour lemon juice, sugar syrup, water, and ice into a blender.
- With blender lid on, blend the ingredients at high settings until frothy.
- Pour into a pitcher and enjoy!
About This Recipe: This lemonade recipe is a classic not only in my family but in America, and can be found with different variations in many cookbooks. Through several generations, this recipe has changed quite a bit. My great-great-grandmother is the earliest we know of in the family who made it. Because she was relatively poor and sugar was expensive in those days, she would mix orange juice with the lemon so she wouldn’t have to use so much sweetener.